Tuesday 29 October 2013

My avatar

Hello there! Thanks for reading my blog again. In this post I'm going to deal with the different ways of using avatars in the classroom. Hope you like it and if you have any recommendations about the activities that I propose let me know.

First of all I want to tell you how amazed I am to see the amount of different websites where you can create an avatar. It's great that you can create from an avatar cat to a nearly human avatar. And I also think that's one of the reasons why they can be used in so many ways.

I've chosen two websites, in order to create examples of activities where I can use the avatars in the classroom.

  • Monsters INC
    I present you Euge Van der Slime:

    This Avatar was really easy to create and I think it could work really well as part of a revision activity for parts of the body, or clothing accessories.  I can definitely see myself using this avatar for an activity with my 3rd form students. The website interface is really easy, and I can demonstrate once on the projector, and then in pairs they could create the monsters, and the descriptions. 
  • Voki
    I present you Nymphadora Tonks.

    I created this avatar, thinking that it could be used for an activity with young adults, while reading a part of any of the Harry Potter books. The idea would be for each student to select a character and create a talking avatar. I think this kind of avatar allows you to work with pronunciation, which is great!

    Of course there are many other ways to introduce avatars into our classroom. This is just my humble contribution.
    Hope you liked it!
    Read you soon :)


    Euge 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Eugenia!
    I really like the two ways of using avatars you have suggested. I hadn't thought of that! Of course, you will need to have some elements available at the time you want to use them, like the projector and a computer! However, if you work in a place where you can have easy access to these things, I think it is a wonderful idea!
    I also like the suggestion of working on pronunciation with the Voki avatar. This is definitely something I would like to include in my classes in the future!
    Thank you for these ideas!
    Cheers
    Aldana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aldana!
    Thanks for your comments!,
    Luckily I do have access to this devices, the bad thing is that I don't think I have enough class time to do them..
    Best,
    Eugenia

    ReplyDelete